Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Facebook!


Lets face it, almost all of us have a facebook.. and if we don't, chances are we have had one in the past.  Facebook is something that connects people from all over the world, it is insane how many people are actually active on facebook.  Personally speaking, I found my biological father on facebook, and with him I was able to locate his parents as well as 2 sisters and a brother I never knew I had.  Facebook can be seen as something that is very useful.  It is easy to chat with people on there that normally you wouldn't, but to me that would just be like a fake friend.  I don't talk to people on facebook that I wouldn't in real life if I saw them. 



Who would have thought that we could connect so many different theories to facebook.  I have to say that by the end of the presentation,  my head was spinning (although, that could just be from 3 hours of talking about facebook).  One of the most shocking things to me was the fact that so many people use facebook games, and not only do they use them, but the extremes that they go to for them is ridiculous.  The man who actually spent money on what he called "duck poop" totally shocked me.  I did not know that so many people were buying into these games.  And facebook is doing well with them since they get a large chunk of the profits. 



The one and only negative thing I have to say about this issue on facebook was that I was a little put off by the assumptions about gender that was brought up.  There was a difference of opinion with the class, but it was made to seem that most every girl has nothing but oversexed pictures featuring the "duck lips" above.  As I scroll through my friends list, I notice while yes there are some women who pose this way and "sex up" a little, most of my facebook "friends" are very respectable women who show that in their pictures.  In fact, most of the women on my friends list have pictures with their cap and gowns because of graduation.  I could just be a "sensitive Sally", but I  thought that was just a very broad assumption that could have been a very interesting argument if it was brought up in a better way.

No comments:

Post a Comment