Monday, April 30, 2012

495 catch up-- globalization (do you notice a pattern?)

This week we really started to look into globalization as well as different theorists such as Marx and Weber, and comparing it to different things. We watched more of Slumdog Millionaire, which was slightly disappointing. The way the movie ended left me with so many unanswered questions. It did not explain what happened to Salim, let alone the children that were being used and blinded to help rake in more money. The whole Happily Ever After thing is so overrated and used so much. It just goes to show how our Western ideals cannot escape anyone. To see just how globalized the world is brings a lot of my thoughts as to how much different cultures are affected by this. I especially like the scene where Jamal and Salim are looking down in the slums and thinking about how different their lives are now and how much the slums have changed in just a few short years. I guess on my next blog post I will talk about that more since it will be my actual paper.
I feel like this class and pop-culture are starting to merge together. We watched Lost in Translation in this class as well, well clips of it at least. This was just to help show how globalized and urbanized the whole world is becoming. One day soon I will actually watch this entire movie so I have more to say on it other than Bill Murray is a very funny man.

No comments:

Post a Comment