Sunday, February 19, 2012

Mythology.. namely "Creation"



We have finally come to the point in class where we are moving on from poetry. I am very glad about this because, not only do I hate analyzing it, I also do not particularly like to write it. I'm sure we discovered that with my lovely poems!

But anyways, with that being said, the class as a whole is venturing into the world of mythology. I'm excited to work with my group and explore the idea of creation. I am hoping that this group presentation runs smoother than the last one I partook in. I want to really dig into the different ideas of "cosmogony", as well as learn about all the different sorts of creations myths there are. So far based on my reading, I'm really looking forward to reading about the sacrifice stories, the earth-diver stories, and the stories of two creators.

A lot of the myths have common features, which I thought was interesting. Almost all of them start with the idea of birth. This could be for numerous reasons, but the most obvious reason is because birth represents a new beginning. They also frequently include supreme beings who set the worlds creation into motion. The theme of the loss of innocence is also present in mythology. It seems as though man and beast lived peacefully amongst each other, then man partakes in a mortal sin, causing the two creators to split up. It seems as though it is usually a God that takes away man's innocence.

No comments:

Post a Comment