Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Mythology


For this upcoming week, our duties for class are to prepare ourselves for the presentation we are doing on Monday or Wednesday. I can say that I really enjoy my group thus far. We have all split up into pairs where we can still work together, but spend more time concentrating on certain aspects of the myth. I didn’t realize how complex our myth was until I started to read it. I had to read and reread the myth many times until I understood exactly what the story was about.

To be honest, I’m still not even sure if I fully understand this myth. There is a lot going on, but it touches on the basic myth themes. It explains why women menstruate and why childbirths are painful through Jackal’s attack against his mother in order to obtain the first word. It also explains why men are circumcised by showing the first two humans were both sexes and it was discovered such a combo was unhealthy. Since the soul of the woman happened to be located on the foreskin, they removed it at birth. This myth also tackles why it is necessary to combine faith and action by showing we need a mixture of faith and proper action to make our lives complete and make the people in heaven happy. And last, it explains why man has to die by saying that heaven is better than earth, and that we must allow our souls to go to heaven in order to make them happy. All of these things show major themes throughout creation mythology.

But anyways, my faith has been renewed in the realm of group projects, and I am excited to get it over and done with. My group has a neat little class activity to do, and I hope it runs smoothly.

No comments:

Post a Comment