Wednesday, March 14, 2012

how ROMANTIC

So now we are done with James Bond, and it looks like we are going into Romantic Comedies. I am more for that than I am for Bond, however, the whole romantic movie thing is not for me either. I’m not sure what it is.. maybe I just don’t like anything anymore! Anyways, in trying to prepare for this section of the class, I watched “Pretty Woman” just to get a gist of the typical (and modern) romantic comedy. As hard as it could be to believe, I had never seen “Pretty Woman” before, and now I realize why. It seems as though every romantic comedy is set up in the same way (as we read in our readings):
1. Boy meets girl
2. Boy falls in love with girl
3. Boy looses girl
4. Boy regains girl
I thought maybe this was just a coincidence, or maybe we just haven’t really noticed it before, but nope… this is the SAME formula for every romantic comedy that I have seen.

So there is no point to my blog for this week, but I thought I would humor you with something I have heard recently. I was driving home from school on my hour commute late one Monday and I decided to listen to “Love Line” which comes on KROQ at 10pm. Well one girl called in with a troubling feeling that she just couldn’t take. After watching the movie “The Vow”, she just could not see how her relationship could make it. Her boyfriend of two months (that she lives with) does not have the same love for her that Channing Tatum had for Rachel McAdams in the move. He did not lust after her as Tatum did, have the passion for her as Tatum did, or even have the body that Tatum did (I threw that last one in for giggles). Anyways, there is a point to this story, I promise.
As Dr. Drew kindly replied to this young lady, “Nothing is as good as it is in the movies”. He, of course had some other sound words of advice. I think that is the main problem with some of the movies. They give people unrealistic expectations of what love is. In movies, you are only seeing the glamorous side of love, not the everyday love. Not everyday is a romantic adventure; there will always be some bad days along the way. I think that is something that all people need to realize before they see these movies, that not everything is as great as they portray it on the big screen.
And also… GAG! Who wastes their time watching these things? I guess romantic comedies are not as bad as some of the sappy movies out there, but still. I’d rather watch something else (but not James Bond).

No comments:

Post a Comment