Monday, March 19, 2012

10...... eh.

From what we saw during class, as well as some of parts I managed to find on YouTube, the movie 10 is one that I just cannot seem to connect with. The film was made well before my time, and before this class period I had never even heard of it before. Dudley Moore played the character George Webber, who was actually quite comical in the film. However, during some midlife crisis that took place, he decided that he needed to be with a certain woman, his perfect “10” if you will. What troubles me, and remember I’ve only seen what was shown in class, what is up with Samantha Taylor (played by Julie Andrews)? From the outside looking in, it looks lie they are in a relationship in which she is committed to him and she has no problems with him seeking sexual experiences with other women. She is more than the average person, she is beautiful and very smart, and so what is she doing with this guy? She is waiting for him, in bed, to have sex while he goes off to the next-door neighbors house trying to get any form of action he can. It is not until the whole “broads” conversation that she seems to get any clue about how sleazy this guy really is. She finally gives him the choice of herself, or the “broads”, leaving her with nothing else but to get her belongings and get out. She is even intruding in his sexual relation with his fantasy girl. I think she has more of a power over him then he cares or admit to himself.

Did anyone notice this, so-called, “fantasy girl”? In the movie she was Jenny Hanley, played by Bo Derek. Whose fantasy was she? She was way taller than he was (I guess if you’re into that…), and she had beads in her hair. Not just a cute accent of beading, it was almost as if a necklace exploded and wrapped into each little group of hair it could find. That would have to be the most annoying sound by your ears, and no guy could rub their fingers in your hair without getting stuck or ripping out chunks of locks. I don’t know.. if you ask me Julie Andrews would have been a better fantasy girl.. I think she is so beautiful.

I’m not sure if I would consider this a “romantic comedy”. To me this whole movie was slightly offensive to women. I think that is why I couldn’t get into it.. It was almost a movie made for men, with subtle hints that would seem like it is likeable to women. The women acted stupid. I hate when they downplay on intelligence because it kills the whole movie for me. Even the character of Sam, she was considered an educated woman, who let a man walk all over her virtually. It just did not make any sense to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment